I am just amazed at the number of beer happenings that are going on in the final two weeks of the year. Unfortunately, with all the other things going on this time of year, there just isn’t time to fit ‘em all in. And then there’s the weather making it pretty hard some days to venture back out into the deep freeze, even for good beer.
What I missed last week:
-Rock Bottom’s 15th Anniversary: Too bad, I heard that both their Old Curmudgeon and their hoppy Anniversary IPA were worth having. Plus, you really can’t beat $5 growler fills.
- Freewill Porter at Flat Earth: I haven’t missed a week yet of their infused porters, but after a rough commute and bad weather I just couldn’t bring myself to venture back out. I doubt there is any left as I think they’ve sold out every week, but if I can get there this week maybe the beer gods will smile on me.
- Darkness tapping at Blue Door: Darkness release + a jiffy blucy = heaven I’m sure. However considering that it was a gazillion degrees below zero today, heaven would just have to wait.
What I found this week:
- Growler of Mystic River from Flat Earth: Sure, I tried this raspberry infused porter the day I picked it up, but that was a whole week and a half ago. Besides, being able to open the beer fridge and just pull it out was great. It was as good if not better than I remembered. Too bad it’s all gone now.
- Two great brews at Town Hall: Snow be damned, Saturday was pint club day! Plus, they still had Festivus XXX and Grinch’s Grog on tap. Milk stouts, especially when done as well as this, are one of the best parts about winter. If I hadn’t wanted to try the Grog, too, I think I would have kept drinking this all afternoon. But the Grog was calling and once you go green it’s hard to go back. Love a stout, but really love hops! The biggest bummer though was that my empty growler was in the car and by the time we were ready to leave, the temperature had dropped and making a run to the car and back was out of the question.
- Mulled Old Man Winter Warmer at the Blue Nile: After hitting Town Hall it would have been blasphemy not to stop in at the Blue Nile, especially since Al was mulling beer just for us beer geeks. Warmer was right! Warm, spicy, yummy.
With only two actual days of this holiday week I’m not sure there will be much time for beer enjoyment, but I’ll give it my best!