Friday, June 20, 2014

A Honey of a Beer

Summer officially starts tomorrow (at a time that most of us would consider ungodly early) and with that we'll probably be spending more time outside, perhaps looking for a more summery beer to drink or share with friends. Portland Brewing's summer seasonal, Oregon Honey Beer, might just be what the beer for that.

My first taste of the beer came recently on a beautiful, warm evening in Portland, a perfect preview of the summer evenings ahead.

Besides having honey in the name, it was present in both the aroma and flavor. None of that artificial honey flavor either; the mild white clover honey that was used came through as cleanly as if I had dipped my spoon into one of the jars on my shelf. Additionally, Portland Brewing used just the right amount of it so as not to create a beer that was overly sweet. Instead what they have crafted an easy drinking beer.

While the initial sips provided a bit more lager characteristic hanging on the back end than I prefer, it wasn't enough to keep me from wanting to drink more. As the beer warmed the lager aftertaste faded and the beer became even more drinkable and pleasant.

This is one I'd happily stock in my fridge, both to enjoy on my own and to share with friends who have a wide range of palates. Perhaps you'll give it a try the next time you see it on tap or at the store.

1 comment:

  1. I'd give it a try if I could. That honey beer sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete