Thursday, January 8, 2009

Trees

Last night we cracked open the growler of Flat Earth’s Trees, the hazelnut infused Cygnus from their infused series at the end of ’08. This one was released the week of Thanksgiving, so had been aging for about six weeks in our beer fridge. I don’t recall the specifics of how the growler came to be mine but I do know that both Kat and Mike were instrumental in making sure it came into my possession. THANK YOU!!! This stuff is amazing! And of course, thanks to Jeff and whomever else was part of creating it.

I first had a hazelnut beer years ago at Papago in Scottsdale, Arizona while visiting Mag, who was there for work. I remember pulling up to Papago, sandwiched between some other businesses in an unimpressive strip mall, and both of us having our doubts about the place. Since we’d been to other iffy looking in the places in the past with good results we put those doubts to the side and headed in. In Arizona they allow “on-sale” and “off-sale” at the same location so it was part bar, part cooler lined liquor store. I’m sure we tried more beers than just their hazelnut but it was so good that’s all I can remember.

Since then, I’ve had a soft spot for hazelnut beers, which are few and far between. There have been a few, with Rogue making one of them, and they vary from the outstanding flavor I recall at Papago to one that is only vaguely hazelnut in flavor. I’m thrilled to say that Trees falls into the former category and I’m looking forward to enjoying the rest of the growler. I don’t know if there are any more growlers of this fine brew floating about but I’ll be keeping my eyes open for ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment