Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rolling Thunder

Last night, Kris and I and some friends caught our first North Star Roller Girls bout. We've had a chance to catch the Minnesota RollerGirls in action a few times as well, and it was pretty interesting to compare the two. I thoroughly enjoy the matches, more so than many other professional sports events I've been to in recent years.

Some thoughts...

One of MRG's sponsors is Pabst, which I think is a savvy move on behalf of Pabst. Frankly, I think any of the local/regional breweries could benefit from a partnership or sponsorship with either league. Given that Pabst is already sponsoring MRG, I doubt there would be an opportunity for a second brewery to step up there. I actually think having Schells sponsor the NSRG would be a great fit. It would give them a chance to feature Grain Belt and their craft offering to a beer-friendly crowd.

Changing gears...

I think, deep down inside, if not openly on the surface, everyone wants a roller girl name. One of the most appealing aspects about the sport is the persona that each player and team adopts that borders on risque. I've thought about this for a few years and think that Cannonball Buns would be a good fit. Of course, I can't really use it until I 1) learn to skate, 2) lop off my bidness and 3) verify that name isn't taken yet. I guess I should verify the availability first, before I take action on step 2.

If you haven't been to a bout yet, I strongly suggest look into this. It is easier to get tickets and a good seat for NSRG, but Roy Wilkins, the MRG venue, is a better venue for a rowdy match than NSRG's Mpls Convention Center.

2 comments:

  1. It took a while, but I finally came up with my roller girl name: Betsy Bloodletter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to see the Roller Girls one day. It seems like such a high energy event.

    ReplyDelete