Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Good Beer - Find it Around Every Corner

We survived our cross country drive and have officially landed in Portland. Like any new home, there are plenty of mundane settling in tasks. However after living under the tyranny of Minnesota law for the last 10+ years, the usual trips to the gas station, Target, and the grocery store have taken on a new shine. You guessed it – much more liberal laws give these stores the ability to sell beer, and not just that 3.2 stuff, as well as the delightful availability of many coveted beers not available in Minnesota.

At a gas station: Stone, Alaskan
At Target: pretty decent variety for a national chain, including the very tasty Deschutes Inversion IPA
At Safeway (grocery): plenty, but I restrained myself to only picking up Stumptown Tart, one in Bridgeport’s Big Brew series, which is 50% ale aged in oak barrels and 50% ale brewed with raspberry

Here's a look at Safeway's "good beer" selection. Yes, it's not huge, but it's the grocery store.

The next two are things I wanted to pick up, but figured I'd better wait until we purchased a dedicated beer fridge or in no time there wouldn't be room for food in the fridge.

6 comments:

  1. I remember being surprised upon stepping into a small, neighborhood grocery store in Seattle and finding a case full of craft beer. Alaska was the same way. Minnesota is kinda lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the many reasons I love Eugene!! The Safeway there rocks for brew, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience the first time I visited Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh geez, I have to move there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love Portland!!

    ReplyDelete