Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mid-Week Musing: Cities Within Cities


A while back I read a book, a strange book that I wouldn't necessarily recommend and one that was not about this topic, but it introduced the idea to me and it's been rattling around in my head ever since. The idea, of cities within cities, is really more of a way at looking at the world, particularly the familiar part of the world that each of us travels in regularly. Depending on interests, two people walking or driving down the same stretch of road will see completely different things based on their use or function. The book talked about a woman who likes to dress herself well will see classy shops, jewelry stores and shoe stores where an alcoholic will see pubs, sausage stands and (here's the one that made me laugh) alleys where you can piss without being arrested.

Then yesterday I picked up a friend to take her to an appointment and as we were talking about where the place was located she mentioned that all of her landmarks are bars and restaurants. When she said that I realized that mine are as well. Sure there are some other landmarks that I might reference depending on who I'm talking to, perhaps the pet supply store where we often buy bully sticks or the gym I go to for a particular class, but mostly it's the eating and drinking establishments that I see in any given area.

At this point you might be wondering where I'll take this post now. The answer is nowhere. It's just a musing that was in my head and something you might ponder the next time you're going down a familiar street.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting topic. I think mine are bars and restaurants too.

    ReplyDelete