Tuesday, December 22, 2009

To Take, or Not to Take?

We’re supposed to be in Iowa for Christmas this year and although the weather is conspiring against us I think we’ll make it. It’s always a tight fit when Cleo’s coming along so I need to stick to the necessities. But when leaving our well stocked beer fridge, and nearby back-up, Cellar’s, where’s the line between necessity and indulgence?

Granted, in Iowa you can pick up beer at any gas station or grocery store and they have come a long way since I moved north, but even with their more liberal laws (including buying on Sundays), they still have a long way to go to catch up to Minnesota in quality. So what makes me look like more of a lush – arriving with a car loaded down with tasty brews or leaving for the liquor store half an hour after arriving in town?

Of course, even if I arrive well stocked, I’m still going to have to make an exploratory trip to the Hy-Vee Liquor Store up the road just to see what they’re carrying these days. And if by chance they have any new brews from the Iowa breweries I’m familiar with or anything we can’t get in Minnesota you know I’m not going to be able to resist picking them up. Besides, even if the weather cooperates and allows us to make it back to Minnesota on Sunday, that’s a good 3 – 4 days of family time.

Maybe a compromise is in order. No growlers, a few bombers (to give the illusion that we’re all drinking, not just me) and an effort to drink down some of our more heavily stocked favorites. That seems reasonable, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment