Friday, November 7, 2008

Gotta love the locals!

There are many reasons to love our local brewers and the beers they produce. Besides being cool people in general, with jobs most of the rest of us are envious of, they are extremely creative. Last night I made it up to Flat Earth’s growler fill day, lured by the introduction of Starman Porter, their porter infused with star anise from Penzey’s that had been soaked in Ouzo. I was pretty sure I’d at least like it but man, this stuff is really good! The anise flavor is certainly there but not overpowering and I’m going out on a limb betting that even black-licorice-averse Mag is going to enjoy it. Luckily after gabbing with Jeff, Mikey, Drunk Dave, and the other folks that showed up to get growlers Kat and I were able to score the last two growlers of this ambrosia. Note to self: Next time, buy first, gab second.

While I had planned to go straight home after picking up my growlers, and possibly doing something productive, Kat and I decided a better plan would be to grab some dinner. We offered to have Scott and Mag join us but they both declined so we headed off to Great Waters. Some event must have been going on from the looks of the parking situation and how full GW was but we were able to get a table in the bar with a minimal wait. Just after we ordered our drinks, Bob, who was there brewing with Joel came over to say hi. He confirmed our theory that while there may be a recession going on in some parts of the economy, that is not the case with the beer crowd. They have apparently been going through their brews at an incredible pace. Luckily I was able to have a couple pints of what I assume was brewed for Halloween, Hop Scare. It’s hoppy, but not over the top, and a true joy to drink. If I would have had an extra growler in the car I would have taken some home, but that not being the case I may have to resort to plan B: seeing if I can get Scott to share some of his.

2 comments:

  1. Anise should be shunted off to a remote island somewhere...along with cilantro and stinky cheese for a food-deathmatch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. surlywhore aka JasonNovember 13, 2008 at 7:42 PM

    I got a growler of the Xanadu Porter (the orange-infused stuff tonight) and a taste from a freshly cracked growler courtesy of Mikey. The smell is like the moment immediately after the first tear into the rind of an orange!

    One of the upcoming porterfest variations in Dec. will be a vanilla porter that will have a whole rum-soaked vanilla bean in each growler. Awesome; now if I could only get another variation going with a scotch-soaked strip of bacon inside...

    ReplyDelete