Friday, July 25, 2008

San Fran Part 2

As it turns out I was able to find time to try my remaining two brews, but after enjoying both of the pale ales, they were a letdown. The Firestone DBA (Double Barrel Ale) by Firestone Walker was nothing memorable and a bit too sweet for my liking. According to their website the have a “Passion for Pales” and this one is supposed to be a British Pale Ale made in their patented Firestone Union oak barrels.

The Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery had a mild smoke aroma and reminded me quite a lot of Guinness. Not being a fan of Guinness this wouldn’t be one I’d purchase again. That being said, I think if this beer were served on nitro it could be quite nice. Out of a bottle it just doesn’t quite cut it for me.

In addition, at a good Vietnamese restaurant in the Ferry Building called The Slanted Door offered me the opportunity to try Biere de Miel, a Belgian bottle-conditioned honey ale. It’s a top fermentation beer with refermentation in the bottle and as expected it came in a very heavy bottle. I wasn’t sure I was going to like it as Belgians can be hit or miss for me but I was pleasantly surprised. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for this to see if anyone locally carries it.

No comments:

Post a Comment