Thursday, May 7, 2009

9 Letters and Counting

Finally! After six years of part-time graduate school, an experience I describe as death by a thousand cuts, I can now add three additional letters after my name; M.B.A. They'll look great next to the C.P.A. and S.O.B. And as irony would have it, I read an interesting and germane quote on my Cup-O-Bucks as I was just getting started on my final final exam. "If you’re successful at the wrong thing, the mix of praise and money and opportunity can lock you in forever (Po Pronson)." Shit. Are those words the metaphorical finger-nail picking at my career scab? The C.P.A. and M.B.A. have been/will be useful from a career perspective, but they don't fill the vocational void that can only be addressed by something I've heard referred to as "a calling."

Shit. Now what? Hmm... I'm looking to my wife, mutt and Hitachino Sweet Stout for inspiration. Two of the three are drinking beer and one is a beer. Shit. Now what?

1 comment:

  1. I think the whole idea of a "calling" or "finding fulfillment in your job" to be a trap. Too many people worry themselves needlessly wondering if they are in the right career as if a career is what defines their life.

    I solved the whole issue a long time ago by realizing that my job is a means to an end. That is, I work so I may live, not live so I can work. My job is just a paycheck I use so I can live in a comfortable home, dine out with friends, travel a bit, etc.

    I know there is a whole swath of American's who consider such ideas to be heresy. But unless you are working for your own business, your just working your life away for the profit of another man. A man, who, in the end, will mention in the corporate newsletter that you finally retired after working for the company for 15 years, followed by announcement of further cost-cutting initiatives. And, before we forget, here is your 15 year anniversary pin. Wear it with pride!

    ReplyDelete